1. Remember, this is the work of the Holy Spirit and he wants us to have life and that in abundance. Your reliance is on him to set the captive free. Ask him to come with His anointing and lead you as you pray.
2. Depending on the child's age talk to them about the situation. We sat with Becky at four years of age and Jim asked her if she remembered her birth. She said “no” so Jim asked the Holy Spirit to come and reveal it to her. The child does not have to understand the situation. Their soul was wounded and their spirit bound and they feel the effects of that in their life.
3. After an explanation, you as the parent need to take responsibility and ask the child to forgive you. I asked Becky to forgive me for not being there, for hurting her, for rejecting her. The response to this is “I forgive you”, which Becky said.
4. Invite the Holy Spirit to come right into that time in their life. There is no time in God; He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He will come into that experience and heal the pain. Ask Him to and He will.
5. Now use your authority in Christ and take authority over the spirits of rejection, fear of rejection, self-rejection and rebellion. Bind them in the mighty name of Jesus and command then to go. Loose your child's spirit to the freedom in Christ. Please note, in no way does this have to be loud or scary. Just use your normal tone of voice but mean what you say. For us it was a precious sweet healing time.
6. Invite the Holy Spirit to fill every void and to fill your child with acceptance, love and the peace of God that passes all understanding. Let his mercy and grace flow.
Jim prayed for Becky and I that day. We had a super natural experience. He prayed that we would bond and that love would fill us both. I sat with Becky in my arms for two hours and we rocked in that chair together. We cried and cried and cried as the love of God moved powerfully to do what only he can do. It was amazing.
The thing that was most astonishing was the profound effect it had on her behaviour. She was never the same. Most people that know Becky can't believe there was ever an issue. She was obedient, respectful and fun, a pleasure to be around (she still is!) But that was a major milestone in our life. You see what we learned was you can't discipline a demon. We were trying to change Becky's behaviour by outward means but God works from the inside out. That's called grace, His divine influence on our lives and it's outward expression. When you are free inside, your behaviour is different. If your child is being harassed by a spiritual force, then you need to deal with it. In the same way, when a child gets cranky because they are tired, you need to put them to bed, if their are reacting to something spiritually you need to pray and set them free.
Watch for rejection in your child's life. We had many sessions praying with the kids forgiving friends, each other, teachers, employers, grandparents, themselves and us. Children hurt one another on the playground. They can feel ostracized from a group, like they are not good enough. Be on top of how your children are feeling and don't be afraid to talk to them and pray with them. In this way you will keep the enemy from getting a foothold in your child's life and you will train them to deal with these issues even when you are not there.
(image courtesy of arztsamui/FreeDigitalPhotos.net)